Monday, December 15, 2008

Confirmations, Carpentry & Cookies

(Today's Blog title compliments of my creative husband)

Jason was going to confirm Madi last Sunday but since I ended up with strep throat we had to wait until this Sunday. He got as far as saying her name before he started to choke up, which made me lose it altogether and I sat in the pew bawling like a 2 year old while my incredibly wonderful, spiritual, worth priesthood holding husband confirmed our daughter a member of the church. I'm so lucky to have come into my children's lives at this time so I can share these growing experiences with them and Jason. We even took Jake and Gracie to

NURSERY!

That was an experience. Jake freaked out and ran screaming for the door after 30 seconds and Gracie just ran in and started playing with the toys. Once the teachers got Jake interested in the toys, however he was just fine and it was Gracie who had a hard time for the next two hours. I got to go to Sunday school then J & I traded and he got to go to Priesthood. Oh well, a little at a time we'll try again next week.

Last night I came home and whipped up a batch of gingerbread cookies. Jason remembered me struggling to get the right thickness for each sheet of cookies and continually adjusting the cooking time accordingly so he came up with a plan. We don't have a kitchen supply store here .. so he took some moulding we had out in the garage & cut it down to make me some guides for perfect cookies everytime. Leave it to my husband, some baseboard moulding & a sawzall to make gingerbread cookies. The kids thought it was great fun to roll them out
though!

Big Softie Gingerbread cookies
3/4 c. full flavored molasses
3/4 c. butter
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
3 2/3 c. all purpose flour
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 egg
In 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, heat molasses, butter & brown sugar until boiling stirring occassionally to blend well. Remove from heat & cool. In large bowl combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, & nutmeg. Blend egg into cooled molasses mixture. Stir molasses mixture into flour mixture until smooth. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour. On floured surface roll half of dough to 1/4 inch thickness & cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Bake at 325 for 7-9 minutes or just until dough no longer looks "wet" and edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies

1 comment: