Friday, February 20, 2009

Love at First Sight

I decided to start printing our blog a couple times a month and mailing it to our family members without internet access so I began printing it yesterday which then made me nostalgic as I reviewed it from the beginning. I realized in reading it that I never told our "How We Met" story, and not everyone may know. So here it is... How "We" came to be-

I had been in an "on again-off again" realtionship with a guy in Idaho and we were in an "off-again-lets-just-be-friends" stage when I logged into one of the many singles websites (http://www.singlesnet.com/ - I should send them a thank you card) I belonged to in order to check my email in June 2008. In my inbox were the usual off-putting, creepy or otherwise undesireables.. and then there was a very attractive photo of this guy and a very generic.. "hey saw your profile , would like to get to know you"- kind of email.


One of Jason's profile pictures (this was added after the initial picture I saw)


Jason's first wife, Christina had passed away in May from cancer and suddenly after 9 years of marriage, he found himself a single father with 3 young children. He'd joined singlesnet to find some people he could talk to. He stumbled across my profile, saw my pictures and decided to send me an email. He says that he didn't think I'd ever even write him back...

I shot back a short email and we corresponded that way for several weeks. I was just biding my time until I was back into an "on-again" phase with Idaho-guy so I wasn't really looking to start a relationship. Besides, I lived in Pleasant Grove and Jason was three hours away in Vernal.. a town I'd been through ONCE in 13 years and it was when we first moved to Utah. It's not like we were ever going to meet. I wouldn't even give him my phone number at first. After several weeks of back and forth emails I finally gave in and gave him my number.

He called one night and from then on we spent hours on the phone every night. He would call me after the kids were in bed about 9 and we'd talk til 1 or 2 in the morning then he'd get up for work at 6! I don't know how he managed all those weeks. During one phone call we found out that we were both going to be at the SLC airport at the same time. He was leaving to go visit family in Georgia and I was going to pick up family coming to visit SLC. So we figured we may as well meet in person seeing as how serendipity brought us to the same place at the same time...

He walked up to me in the airport and though I'd never believed in it before, it was literally love at first sight. We only had MAYBE 5 minutes before he had to go catch a flight- 3 babies in tow. And I spent the next week waiting on pins and needles for every text message. They were few and far between and I didn't know if he was even really interested. When he got back from Georgia a week later we set up a date for the 15th of August.


Me on our first date (what was with my hair?)

I drove to Vernal that weekend of August 15th and it just confirmed what I already knew. I would marry him.. I didn't know when but I knew it would happen. We went to dinner and he showed me around town and took me hiking - I was wearing 4" platform heels- he figured if I could make it through that, I might be a keeper LOL. Everything after that was a whirlwind- Our first date was the 15th of August, he proposed 11 days later on the 26th of August and we were married November 8th, 2008.

He's my confidante, my best friend and my soulmate. He's the most amazing, generous man I've ever known. In six short months we've seen both sides of the country, had a wedding, honeymooned in Las Vegas & Disneyland, bought a house, blended a family, been through a surgery and a million other tiny little things.. a lifetime of activities already and I can't wait to spend the rest of our lifetimes together. As we turned to leave the altar at our wedding ceremony and greet our guests he said to me "Are you ready?" Yes honey, I waited 29 years for you, I'm definately ready.

7 comments:

BrieAnn said...

cute story Brandi. I loved the last line! You guys are so cute together. Hope you all are feeling better, and your recovering well. Call next time you come up to the ole Happy Valley if you have time for a get together...lata.

lambfamblog said...

Thanks for posting this. I never did hear how you two met. It was really great meeting him the week before the wedding and enjoying breakfast! I loved the constant attention he gave you, like you were the only one in the room. Now that is "LOVE". You deserve it! I wish we could have been there when you two tied the knot.

Unknown said...

That is so cute. I was one of those that has been dying to hear how you guys met. That is great that he proposed after 11 days of your first date. My dad proposed after 9 days of their first date. When you know you know. I can tell that you guys are so happy and I love reading your blog everyday to hear all the cute stories that go on in your house. You seem like such a cute mom too!

chelsea mckell said...

Hey Brandi! I found your blog! I can now officially blog-stalk you :)
And if you keep doing great posts like this one, I really will! Very fun to read.
see ya soon!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Alright, am I lame, because I think your hair looks awesome in that photo. Not that it doesn't ALWAYS look awesome. It does, it just looks...whatever-you know what I mean. Shutting up now.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I just found your mom on facebook and I am so glad you found me! I was wondering how you were since I lost your phone number and e-mail. I can't believe you are married now and a mom!

Unknown said...

I told you when I met you the other day at moms group that I was a blog stalker! What a cute story! I love hearing about how people met!